Once you have a domain name you need a hosting – which is basically a server where you can store your website and serve it to your web visitors.
There is a multitude of hosting types like: shared, managed, VPS hosting, cloud hosting, etc. We won’t go into details here and will only focus on WordPress hosting.
You don’t necessarily need to know all the technical details. Simply ask yourself a few questions to easier choose the plan that best suits your needs. So, here are some questions:
- What is my approximate budget (per year/per month)?
- What is the approximate traffic I’m expecting to get to this website?
- How much storage will I need to host my website?
- What technical skills do I have?
- What other services do I need: SSL, backups, emails, etc.?
Once you have an idea of your requirements, you can go ahead and choose a hosting plan for your WordPress site.
I recommend SiteGround, because:
- It’s affordable, from $3.95/mo. for 1 to 3 years
- Offers plenty of storage, 10 – 40 GB
- It’s reliable, 99.9% uptime
- Free SSL, CDN & email
- Daily backups
- Great customer support, 24/7
- Free migration
- SG Optimizer plugin for speed
- Data centers on 4 continents
- Easy WordPress installation and management
Now, SiteGround offers 3 WordPress hosting plans: StartUp, GrowBig, GoGeek.
Here is the detailed list of options you get with any of these plans:
|1 Website||Unlimited Websites||Unlimited Websites|
|10 GB Web Space||20 GB Web Space||40 GB Web Space|
|10,000 Visits Monthly||20,000 Visits Monthly||100,000 Visits Monthly|
|Unmetered Traffic||Unmetered Traffic||Unmetered Traffic|
|Free WP Installation||Free WP Installation||Free WP Installation|
|Free WP Migrator||Free WP Migrator||Free WP Migrator|
|WordPress Autoupdates||WordPress Autoupdates||WordPress Autoupdates|
|Free SSL, CDN & email||Free SSL, CDN & email||Free SSL, CDN & email|
|Daily Backup||Daily Backup||Daily Backup|
|Unlimited Databases||Unlimited Databases||Unlimited Databases|
|30-Days Money-Back||30-Days Money-Back||30-Days Money-Back|
|On-demand Backup||On-demand Backup|
|Dynamic Cache||Dynamic Cache|
|Staging||Staging + Git|
Once you know which of these 3 plans is good for you, go ahead and select one. You’ll be guided through a 3 step checkout process:
- Choose plan
- Choose domain
- Review and complete
Once you choose a plan you will have to include your domain name (if you have one) or register a new domain name via Siteground. We’ve talked about domain name generators and registrars earlier.
On the last step you’ll have to include your client and payment information and choose your plan. Here is more info on this step:
Account information: register a new account or sign in if you already have one.
Client information: fill in your personal details, address, phone number etc.
Note: based on your country, SiteGround will suggest you their services for that specific country and local currency.
Payment information: include your credit card details. They accept Visa, Master card and America Express.
Purchase information: here you will select your plan, data center, period of time and extra services.
- Plan – select the one that best suits your needs
- Data center – choose the one that is located close to your visitors’ geographical location. For example, if most of your site visitors will be accessing your site from Belgium, choose the closes data center which is located in The Netherlands. Currently, there are 6 data centers available in: USA – Iowa, Asia – Singapore, Australia – Sydney, UK – London, Germany – Frankfurt, The Netherlands.
- Period – how long would you like to stay with SiteGround. You can get hosting for 12, 24, 36 months and after that you’ll pay the regular price and won’t benefit from their initial discount. Considering the discount you get, it makes sense to choose a longer period of time. You can later upgrade to a bigger plan if your site needs more resources.
- Extra services – choose whatever you want to pay for extra services. This is optional.
That’s it, now proceed to payment and get their confirmation message and email. Congrats, you now have a hosting account and can start building your new website!